How To Tell Him?
Drop hints “the three of us” “need to get a family car”
Go to a baby department in a shop
Make dinner and tell him, when eating dessert
Buy him a book – how to be the best dad
Give him your pregnancy test
Sit next to him and just tell him
Psychological Effects of miscarriage on the mother?
Many women said their symptoms had impacted their wider life, with 40 per cent citing affected relationships with friends and family, and almost a third stating their work life had been influenced.
Loss of appetite
Female foetocide in England and India
“Abortion has become so routine in Britain with 600 taking place every day”
“blood tests that disclose the sex of a foetus are widely available on the internet or abroad.”
“Abortions for non-medical reasons are legal until 24 weeks, but terminations on grounds of sex of the foetus are illegal under the 1967 Abortion Act.”
“In 2010 there were 189,574 terminations in England and Wales, an eight per cent increase in the past decade.”
“The illegal abortion of female foetuses solely to ensure that families have sons is widely practised within some ethnic communities in Britain and has resulted in significant shortfalls in the proportion of girls, according to an investigation by The Independent.”
“In parts of India and China there are now as many as 120 or 140 boys for every 100 girls despite a ban on sex-selective abortion.”
“In the UK, it has reduced the female population by between 1,500 and 4,700”
“Female infanticide and female foeticide (the selective abortion of girls in the womb) are significant issues in India.”
In India a most brutal form of killing females takes place regularly
In some areas, the sex ratio of females to males has dropped to less than 8000:1000.
“Male Children are a Better Investment.” The main reason is the idea that the male offspring will better support the family.
“Female Children Are a Gamble.” In India, the age-old dowry system puts a damper on the spirits of those who are blessed with a girl child.
UK: 952 females /1000 males
Causes of suicide?
- Life history – for example, having a traumatic experience during childhood, a history of sexual or physical abuse, or a history of parental neglect
- Mental health – for example, developing a serious mental health condition, such as schizophrenia
- Lifestyle – for example, if you misuse drugsor misuse alcohol
- Employment – such as poor job security, low levels of job satisfaction or being unemployed
- Relationships – being socially isolated, being a victim of bullying or having few close relationships
- Severe depression- low mood, tiredness, loss of appetite, hopelessness- “People with severe depression are much more likely to attempt suicide than the general population.”
- Bipolar disorder- mood swings “People with bipolar disorder are 20 times more likely to attempt suicide than the general population.”
- Schizophrenia- hallucinations, “one in 20 people with schizophrenia will take their own life.” “People with schizophrenia are most at risk of suicide when their symptoms first begin.” “People with schizophrenia are also at increased risk of self-harm.” “It’s also increased when people with schizophrenia experience depression.”
Borderline personality disorder- unstable emotions, common cause is experiencing childhood sexual abuse, “over half of people with borderline personality disorder will make at least one suicide attempt.”
- Anorexia nervosa- “one in five people with anorexia will make at least one suicide attempt”
- Financial issues
Films told through diaries and flashbacks
- Anne Frank
- Slumdog Millionaire
- The Notebook
- Life Of Pi
- Citizen Kane
Reasons for forced marriage http://justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/cj-jp/fv-vf/fm-mf/p2.html
- To save family honour
- To show control and power
- Poverty- poor families marry their daughters into rich families to get them out of poverty
- As a punishment
- “To ensure land, property and wealth remain in the family”
- “To strengthen family links”
- “To assist claims for residence and citizenship”
“Key trends from the Samaritan Suicide Statistic Report 2016:
- Female suicide rates increased in the UK (by 8.3%), England (by 14%), Scotland (by 7.8%) and Republic of Ireland (by 14.7%) between 2013 and 2014.
- The female suicide rate in the UK is at its highest since 2011.”
Recent statistics show that 72% of people who died by suicide between 2002 and 2012 had not been in contact with their GP or a health professional about these feelings in the year before their suicide.
Hewlett, E. & Horner, K. (2015). Mental Health Analysis Profiles: OECD Working Paper No. 81. Available at: http://www.oecd.org/officialdocuments/publicdisplaydocumentpdf/?cote=DELSA/HEA/WD/HWP(2015)4&docLanguage=En [Accessed on 19/01/16].
Testimonials of people with mental health problems/ depression/ lost a child
“I feel empty inside and alone”
Most patients undergo an ultrasound at around 18-20 weeks (about four and a half to five months). Normally, at this stage of pregnancy we can determine the baby’s sex, but not always.